Skip to main content
U.S. flag

This is an original und secure website

Polk County

  •   State: 
    Iowa
      County: 
    Polk County
      Zips: 
    50306
    50307
    50328
    50331
    50307
    50301
    50318
    50398
    50305
    50398
    50032
    50392
    50007
    50327
    50073
    50391
    50324
    50325
    50237
    50169
    50319
    50226
    50035
    50322
    50324
    50327
    50320
    50321
    50311
    50316
    50111
    50009
    50314
    50315
    50312
    50131
    50317
    50021
    50310
    50023
    50313
    50325
    50265
    50322
    50309
    50266
      Coordinates: 
    41.685394359268805, -93.57343278188164
      Area total: 
    591.53 sq. mi., 1532.07 sq. km, 378581.76 acres
      Area land: 
    572.21 sq. mi., 1482.03 sq. km, 366216.32 acres
      Area water: 
    19.32 sq. mi., 50.04 sq. km, 12365.44 acres
      Established: 
    1846
      Capital seat: 

    Des Moines
    Address: 111 Court Ave
    County Administrative Office Bldg.
    Des Moines, IA 50309-2218
    Governing Body: Board of Supervisors with 5 board size
    Governing Authority: Home Rule

  • Polk County, Iowa, United States

  •   Population: 
    492,401; Population change: 14.34% (2010 - 2020)
      Population density: 
    861 persons per square mile
      Household income: 
    $55,926
      Households: 
    35,537
      Unemployment rate: 
    6.00% per 264,807 county labor force
  •   Sales taxes: 
    6.00%
      Income taxes: 
    8.98%
      GDP: 
    $38.10 B, gross domestic product (GDP)
  • Polk County's population of Iowa of 69,888 residents in 1930 has increased 1,34-fold to 93,667 residents after 90 years, according to the official 2020 census. U.S. Bureau of the Census beginning in 1900. Data for 1870-1890 are on a de facto or unspecified basis; data for 1900 and later years are resident totals.

    Approximately 50.94% female residents and 49.06% male residents live in as of 2020, 58.16% in Polk County, Iowa are married and the remaining 41.84% are single population.

    As of 2020, 58.16% in Polk County, Iowa are married and the remaining 41.84% are single population.

  •   Housing units: 
    210,184 residential units of which 93.68% share occupied residential units.

    20.3 minutes is the average time that residents in Polk County require for a one-way commute to work. A long commute can have different effects on health. A Gallup poll in the US found that in terms of mental health, long haul commuters are up to 12 percent more likely to experience worry, and ten percent less likely to feel well rested. The Gallup poll also found that of people who commute 61­–90 minutes each day, a whopping one third complained of neck and back pain, compared to less than a quarter of people who only spend ten minutes getting to work.

    82.27% of the working population which commute to work alone in their car, 9.89% of the working population which commutes to work in a carpool, 1.68% of the population that commutes using mass transit, including bus, light rail, subway, and ferry. 3.30% of the population that has their home as their principal place of work.

  • Of the total residential buildings in Polk County, Iowa 65.41% are owner-occupied homes, another 27.72% are rented apartments, and the remaining 6.87% are vacant.

  • The 46.12% of the population in Polk County, Iowa who identify themselves as belonging to a religion are distributed among the following most diverse religions.

    Since the 1860s, the two main parties have been the Republican Party (here in 2022 = 41.820%) and the Democratic Party (here in 2022 = 56.430%) of those eligible to vote in Polk County, Iowa.

Skyline of Polk County

In 51 U.S. states are published

3853 Companies
1226 Counties
2376 Cities

The 5 newest Companies

The Gilded Nest

16A N State St, Greenfield, IN 46140

Risco Reusable Industrial Supply Co

1260 N Queen Rd, Walkerton, IN 46574

Southern Guide Fishing Maps

500 Gulf Shore Dr, Destin, FL 32541

Innova Computers

3460 W Walnut St, Garland, TX 75042

Swann Warehouse

111 Poplar St, Murray, KY 42071

Other Companies

Circle Track Specialties

21675 Doral Rd STE C, Waukesha, WI 53186

DDD Marine Equipment Inc

10927 Hazel Ave, Hudson, FL 34669

Tuxedo Resale

1331 W Melinda Ln, Phoenix, AZ 85027

Santa's Castle

Wold Ave, Fort Benning, GA 31905

Turning Point Brands

5201 Interchange Way, Louisville, KY 40229

Landscape of Iowa