Skip to main content
U.S. flag

This is an original und secure website

Buchanan County

  •   State: 
    Iowa
      County: 
    Buchanan County
      Zips: 
    50671
    52210
    52326
    50607
    50650
    52329
    50641
    50682
    50629
    50648
    50644
      Coordinates: 
    42.47078365511209, -91.83784217414276
      Area total: 
    573.10 sq. mi., 1484.31 sq. km, 366780.80 acres
      Area land: 
    571.08 sq. mi., 1479.09 sq. km, 365491.20 acres
      Area water: 
    2.02 sq. mi., 5.22 sq. km, 1289.60 acres
      Established: 
    1837
      Capital seat: 

    Independence
    Address: PO BOX 317
    Independence, IA 50644-0317
    Governing Body: Board of Supervisors with 3 board size
    Governing Authority: Home Rule

  • Buchanan County, Iowa, United States

  •   Population: 
    20,565; Population change: -1.88% (2010 - 2020)
      Population density: 
    36 persons per square mile
      Household income: 
    $48,247
      Households: 
    7,213
      Unemployment rate: 
    4.60% per 11,095 county labor force
  •   Sales taxes: 
    7.00%
      Income taxes: 
    8.98%
      GDP: 
    $782.37 M, gross domestic product (GDP)
  • Buchanan County's population of Iowa of 18,667 residents in 1930 has increased 1,12-fold to 20,823 residents after 90 years, according to the official 2020 census. U.S. Bureau of the Census beginning in 1900. Data for 1870-1890 are on a de facto or unspecified basis; data for 1900 and later years are resident totals.

    Approximately 49.22% female residents and 50.78% male residents live in as of 2020, 59.08% in Buchanan County, Iowa are married and the remaining 40.92% are single population.

    As of 2020, 59.08% in Buchanan County, Iowa are married and the remaining 40.92% are single population.

  •   Housing units: 
    8,886 residential units of which 92.26% share occupied residential units.

    24.2 minutes is the average time that residents in Buchanan County require for a one-way commute to work. A long commute can have different effects on health. A Gallup poll in the US found that in terms of mental health, long haul commuters are up to 12 percent more likely to experience worry, and ten percent less likely to feel well rested. The Gallup poll also found that of people who commute 61­–90 minutes each day, a whopping one third complained of neck and back pain, compared to less than a quarter of people who only spend ten minutes getting to work.

    77.96% of the working population which commute to work alone in their car, 8.76% of the working population which commutes to work in a carpool, 0.29% of the population that commutes using mass transit, including bus, light rail, subway, and ferry. 6.83% of the population that has their home as their principal place of work.

  • Of the total residential buildings in Buchanan County, Iowa 70.02% are owner-occupied homes, another 19.36% are rented apartments, and the remaining 10.62% are vacant.

  • The 67.36% of the population in Buchanan County, Iowa who identify themselves as belonging to a religion are distributed among the following most diverse religions.

    Since the 1860s, the two main parties have been the Republican Party (here in 2022 = 40.020%) and the Democratic Party (here in 2022 = 58.500%) of those eligible to vote in Buchanan County, Iowa.

Skyline of Buchanan County

In 51 U.S. states are published

3853 Companies
1226 Counties
2376 Cities

The 5 newest Companies

The Gilded Nest

16A N State St, Greenfield, IN 46140

Risco Reusable Industrial Supply Co

1260 N Queen Rd, Walkerton, IN 46574

Southern Guide Fishing Maps

500 Gulf Shore Dr, Destin, FL 32541

Innova Computers

3460 W Walnut St, Garland, TX 75042

Swann Warehouse

111 Poplar St, Murray, KY 42071

Other Companies

Efm Sales Co

155 PA-61, Pottsville, PA 17901

Marcy Mathworks

11664 National Blvd, Los Angeles, CA 90064

Crop Production Services Inc

200 Prospect Ln, Brownsville, TN 38012

Shoppe at the Misty Moon

14655 McLean Rd, Mount Vernon, WA 98273

Sweet Massage

Stanton, CA 90680

Landscape of Iowa